Na for Nawab? Na for Nayana?
An interesting series of coin are the coins attributed to Nawab of Arcot that have the charachters Na written on the obverse. Here are two examples from Zeno that I have copied (Z1, Numista). I have both these coins in my collection here and 13.9.
The argument for why this is Nawab is because "Na" means Nawab. Further, Numista refers to MSI #999 as a reference though I havent verified it.
Another collector/seller (Maninkandan Prabhu) made the case that the "Na" signified Nayana and the coin was issued by Vana Immudi Hamma Nayana of the Gatti Mudali Dynasty.
This led me down the rabbit hole of learning about the Gatti Mudali dynasty. I had not heard of this dynasty and started reading about them. Here is a good reference.
- Gatti Mudali were Polygars under Madurai Nayaks
- Ruled the Palayams that covered modern day Salem, Erode and Karur
- Held two forts: At Salem and Attur

Comments
Post a Comment